Weird Reaction/Acid Reflux

I don't have time to go into my whole history with acid reflux, but suffice it to say, I have a history and it increased with Keto.  As I've done a little AIP and removed dairy, it's almost non-existent which is why the last two issues with reflux are so interesting.

This last Sunday, I started my morning off with an herbal eggnog flavored Rocket Fuel Latte (RFL).  I used Bengal Spice herbal tea instead of coffee and omitted the egg yolk and collagen.  I downed it pretty quickly which left my stomach unsettled for quite a while.  I've never had problems with any RFL variations so I figured it was related to how quickly I drank it.  Yesterday (Monday), I decided I wanted another one, but this time I added chia seeds to try to thicken it and add a bit more carbs/protein to balance all the fats.  About half way through, my stomach started hurting again so I threw it out.  Fast forward to later in the day when I enjoyed a very delicious pumpkin donut and almost immediately after finishing, I had acid reflux.  I was quite surprised by the reaction, but chalked it up to all the spices I ate.  I'm now combing through the tea and donut ingredients to see any correlation. 

So here's the weird reaction part.  Today I bought my daughter an organic fruit yogurt smoothie in a squeeze container.  She tried some and immediately told me it was gross.  Well, I was curious so I tasted it and I agree.  It was gross.  About five minutes later, I had reflux.  This fruit yogurt contains bananas, peaches, water, yogurt, and a few other preservatives, nothing that should have caused reflux.  I hadn't eaten anything else for hours and I literally touched the top with my tongue so I'm not sure what caused it.  There may be more than one component that gives me reflux.  I may start a food journal.  I'm not going to keep track of calories, macros, or even how much I eat, just what I eat to look for triggers.  That seems like a lot of work so we'll see if I actually decide to do that. 

One down side is that I didn't read the product before I tasted it which meant I ingested dairy today.  So much for being vigilant with my dairy consumption.  I doubt it'll set me back much, but I guess I'll find out in the next few days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thou Shalt Feel Guilt

Skin Experiment

Review of "Keto: The Complete Guide to Success on The Ketogenic Diet, including Simplified Science and No-cook Meal Plans" by Maria and Craig Emmerich