Why Keto

I've known about a ketogenic diet for sometime.  My husband can be a health nut at times.  When I first met him, he was really into weight lifting and had a physic to show it.  Over the course of our marriage, he hasn't been able to maintain that physic as much as he'd like.  He's an amazing husband, father, and provider which is where he put his focus.  I can't say enough about how lucky I am to have him. 

About four years ago, he learned about keto and started following it.  I was a little hesitant about the way he was eating because I thought it was a fad diet.  He lost the weight he wanted to, but I didn't think it was possible for him to follow the diet as a lifestyle.  I was right.

When we first got married, I was completely dairy free.  I hadn't had more than an accidental amount in years.  Well, being married to someone who can and does eat dairy was challenging and over time, I introduced dairy back into my diet as a regular staple.  I imagine that's how it was for my husband.  He was trying to eat keto, but I ate whatever I wanted.  Over the course of a few months, he'd bring carbs back into his diet, put the weight back on, then go keto again.  Although they were months apart, it was basically yo-yo dieting.

Earlier this year, he decided to go keto again.  I was less than thrilled because it meant more work for me.  I was making two dinners - one for him and one for the rest of us.  I know he would've made his own meals, and often he would, but I like to have dinner ready for him before he goes to work.  One day I was out walking with a friend who had just been diagnosed as pre-diabetic.  Although she wasn't surprised about the diagnosis, the disease is in her genes, she was unhappy about the lifestyle changes.  As she was telling me about the changes she had to make, I realized that it was very similar to how my husband was eating.  In that moment, I realized that keto could be a way of life and that it wasn't just a fad diet.  Shortly after that, my husband's parents started following a keto diet too. 

That's when I began to do some research.  Clearly eating keto could be maintainable, that's how diabetics eat all the time.  How could this benefit me?  I won't go into all the information I've read (it's a lot), but I'll sum it up.  Your body can either run on glucose or ketones.  When your body has an abundance of carbs, it runs on glucose which causes the energy spikes and crashes.  When you starve your body of glucose (carbs) and replace it with fats, your body starts making ketones.  With a never ending supply of fat (whether from your diet or your body) your energy levels never dip.  That reason right there is why I decided to try keto.  I wanted the constant energy level.

On July 2, 2017, I started keto.  Although I've had some hiccups, overall I'm happy with how I feel on a fat adapted diet.  I have more energy, my brain isn't as foggy as it was, my skin is clearing up, and my joints don't ache.  The 15 pound weight loss was a nice benefit too.  I'm still in the trial and error portion, but I'm hopeful that over the next several months/years, I'll figure out exactly what's best for my body. We only get one body.  My goal is to make it as happy as I can and by sharing my experience, I hope you'll want to do the same too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thou Shalt Feel Guilt

Skin Experiment

Review of "Keto: The Complete Guide to Success on The Ketogenic Diet, including Simplified Science and No-cook Meal Plans" by Maria and Craig Emmerich